The Hoonah Stewardship Council met for the first time of the new year. In attendance :
Jillian Schuyler, Arianna Lapke, Ricky Contrerars, Jeromy Grant, Ian Johnson, Ben McLuckie, Stephanie Harold, Jennifer Nu, Basia Trout, Heather Powell, Jackie Dick
- We are working to make the class engaging them in new topics in fisheries management. Helping to coordinate a fisheries technology course.
- Complimentary to TRAYLS
- Bringing new opportunities to students
- Bringing hands-on work
- Is it elective? – yes, elective for students.
- Hands on engagement
- What age ? Highschool – what are needs from FS speakers?
- Salmon life cycle
- Virtual or in person? – will be dependent on the school. Hope for in person to make it more engaging
- There are 4 students enrolled in the class
Advisory Committee Establishment
- Icy Straits Advisory Committee is a chance for Hoonah residents to propose changes to fish and game regulations.
- Next meeting is February 15th. Call information will be posted on Social Media
- Does the Advisory committee interact with others?
- It’s separate from the Federal one
- Do they work together with the community?
Lynn Canal Regional Advisory Committee
- Lynn Canal RAC helps fund recreation and environment projects in Hoonah. This a great chance to help
- Still looking for members
- Trying to get that committee out.
Updates from the Forest Service
- Gearing up for the HNFP field season
- Hoping to hire a seasonal to help with the field season
- Planning on the road bridge work. Getting those scheduled and cleared up
- Jason Johnson – will provide some updates on the roads
- Community feedback on road condition is welcome – folks can take pictures and report
- There are slides in both directions of the Y
- Also – Culvert blowout by Hippleback
- Great American Outdoors Act funding . Marlene is coordinating on that. TRAYLS crew work.
Tools for Schools
- Surveys and inspection in school for air quality in the school
- Looking at factors
- Schools that have bad air quality can impact students – Asthma etc.
- Want to reduce risk factors for students
- Looking for dust, mold, moisture, humidity, hvac, etc.
- Might find something that needs to be improved or setting a plan for improvement
- Ben did PM 2.5 study stuff at the school a couple of years ago
- Sampled every minute for 24
- Ventilation at school works well when it’s on.
- Consumes energy
- It’s turned off a lot
- Improvements or saving the money. Filter changes or areas for saving money
Electronic waste backhaul
- We’ll be starting that in the Spring
- Save your old computers and spread the word
- Starting with SAWC, ADEC, doing beach monitoring at 2 locations
- Mirrors Ketchikan program which has been successful
- Testing 2 sites – cannery point, Gus’s area
- Doing DNA testing on that to determine where any fecal coliform is coming from
- Checking on Gray water – is it an issue?
Gartina has changed a lot due to the storming
- the environment has changed a lot. There is a lot of silty and muck and it’s everywhere.
- Seems like there is a shift in shellfish locations. Things got rearranged.
Careful on shellfish – still seeing some levels in shellfish
Ricky – IGAP assistant is on board!
- Started in the department about 1 month ago
- Data collection, backhaul training
- He will be helping on air and water quality monitoring
Stream Temp Network
- Checking on the network soon. Have 6 sites deployed.
- Working on story map around that project. Want to be able to show people how this could be important. Could expand restoration based on stream temperature data.
- In April and May we’ll be collecting data.
- Celebrating by heart – leaders that don’t get paid for the service they do
- People who go the extra distance for volunteering
- Would like to lift up people who are active in the community
- They’ll be posted to social media
- How long will it last? Probably a year
Young Photographers comepetion
- Regional competition for youth
- Nature appreciation with a STEM focus
- Youth engagement and questions
- What’s happening with Roadless
- Basia – it’s under litigation right now. Not a lot happening with it currently.
- Greenhouse is here!
- Working with Mark Browning on that
- Will integrate with the TRAYLS program
- Spasski WRAP is underway
- Identifying projects and essential work
Dive program update
- Sea stars research
- Doing a protocol
- Sea star wasting disease is happening – still not sure what is happening there
- It’s moving to other species of starfish
Local social media outreach – Send anything you needs for posting
Be the first to comment