Hoonah Native Forest Partnership
Presentations and Conferences
We are always seeking to share out the work we do and our message. Our staff were actively engaged in conferences and presenting our work. Here are of the places we were.
- Jeromy presented on indoor quality at ATCEM, Anchorage
- Jeromy and Sam presented our air quality work at SE Env Conference, Craig, AK
- Sean presented his coastal work at SE Env Conference, Craig, AK
- Ian presented the HNFP model at Private Lands Partnership, Utah
- Sean attended the ASUS Conference to get training and resources for our dive program, Vancouver, BC
Hoonah Stewardship Council
Engaging in the Roadless Rule
HIA has been actively working with the Forest Service and regional tribes as a cooperating agency on the Alaska Specific Roadless Rule. This has been a difficult process and we have appreciated being at the table to continually advocate for our community’s needs. You can review some of HIA’s work to the process here : https://www.hia-env.org/2019/10/30/hia-and-five-southeast-alaska-tribes-condemn-the-roadless-rulemaking-process/
2020 is full of opportunity! In all of endeavors we look forward to learning from you, learning from our community and continuing to do our best. Below are a few of the things we have upcoming.
- Community Garden planning for the summer
- Hiring for the HNFP and establishing 5 more years of funding for the HNFP
- Biomass Energy
- Youth programming
- Shellfish Biomass surveys
- Solid Waste Management Plan with the city
- DBAC: soil and water testing old landfill
- Electronic Waste Collection/Backhaul event 2nd annual
- Coastal program development
I had no idea that Hoonah Indian Association had so many projects and programs, what drew my attention was a article about the water sheds and streams around us that was being worked on, I also saw one of the streams that the trees were put into, the trees themselves were pretty big. Enjoyed reading this page and finding out all that going on, great.